I grew up eating mac and cheese at least a couple times a week at home. If I recall correctly, it was one of my first self-taught meals as a kid. Of course, following the easy 4 step instructions found on the blue Kraft box weren’t too hard to learn. Besides, any effort required to have that creamy, cheesy taste in my mouth would be well worth it! But the blue box no longer worked for me as I grew older and began having dairy and gluten intolerance. Of course, my love for mac and cheese can clearly never go away, so I’ve had to learn to create my own mac and cheese recipes, vegan and gluten-free, that will work for me, and that the rest of my family can happily enjoy eating as well. I especially loved how creamy this recipe came out and seeing the cheese stretch out is always fun to watch.
5-Ingredient Creamy GF Vegan Mac N’ Cheese
Prep time: 05 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 package Barilla Chickpea Rotini (or any 8 oz. package pasta)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cups vegan sharp cheddar cheese shreds (I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds)
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions until a minute from being al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add flour and toss slightly until just turned into roux. Add milk and cheese, stirring, occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Toss pasta into the skillet and blend together. Turn heat to low setting. Cover and let simmer for 2 minutes.